Cape Archives and Records Services
Archival Resources - Cape Archives and Records Services
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services RDG 150 1804 Accounts from the graveresse Widow Lay
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services CO 88 1817 December 1817, correspondence (43 and 44) regarding Bailey’s request to establish a Hospital for the reception of Sailors from Merchantmen, Slaves and Lunatics. Diagram represents 1 morgen 167 square roods and 96 square feet situated between the Burial Ground and the Amsterdam Battery. Melvill 4 December 1817.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services CO 186 1823 Letter 5, 9 January 1823 Plan of shoreline between Roggebaai Battery and Whale Fishery, which was at the end of Bree Street. Note that the ‘Range of the Rogge Bay Battery Guns’ was marked by whale bones.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services 3/CT/7/1/2/1/1 1842 Assessment roll for 1842 Headings: by district and ward -- No. (sequence of entries) -- Occupier of Immovable Property -- Proprietor -- Nature of Property (house, store, cellar, lower store, greengrocer, etc.) -- Number of the same -- Name of Street -- Valuation -- Class -- Rate Payable to Municipality -- Remarks:      1. Note: Government properties also listed. 2.    Volume for 1860 does not have information under Occupier or Number of Street. Have to check earlier volumes to see when this practice stopped.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services GH 28/20 1842 Proposed new Port Office at North Jetty, 1842, p.66 Plan shows old port office (in ruins) and custom house in front of Parade, and location of proposed new port office and custom house either side of North Jetty. Shows shoreline at the time.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services SG1/1/3/7 1842 Mahommedan burial ground, Signal Hill Letter from Colonial Office to Surveyor-General, 12 July 1842: ”you will therefore impress upon the Memorialists the propriety of putting an end to their disputes, as the burial ground is intended not for a section but for the whole of the followers of Mahomeet. -- Copy of Memorial (original bound in CO records bol.3 Memorials M to R, 1842): “The humble memorial of Carel Pelgrim or Hadja, Mahomedan Priest and Teacher”. -- Diagram (Melvill) “copied from one attached to Transfer from Burgher Senate 17 June to Reverend von Manger. The property now belongs to Mr Truter.” Shows Mohammedan burial ground alongside Long Market Street, adjacent to Property of the Rev Mr Manger. Beyond that is Malay and Chineese Burial Ground.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services CO 625 1853 Letter 63, 8 October 1853 Correspondence and plan regarding Dutch Reformed Church Burial Ground. -- Plan of DRC ground to be disposed of, in lots (pink) and for burial purposes (green). Runs from Prestwich towards bay and includes the SAMS plot. -- Letter from Secretary of Cape Municipality to Southey, Acting Secretary to Government, CT, 6 October 1853. DR Church asks to be relieved of condition re burial ground in order to sell portion for building lots to defray costs of building wall around remaining portion and towards erecting a second church in CT.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services CO 818 1863 Letter 75, 4 May 1863 ‘Table Bay Harbour: Plan showing the beach between the New Hospital and the South Wharf. ‘Good illustration of the wharves. Letter from Resident Engineer SA Harbour Board asking to remove military Amsterdam Battery precinct because it blocks link between town and harbor.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services GH 28/89 part II 1869 Hospitals Returns 1869 Plans of layout of hospitals and asylums, including the Old Somerset Hospitals, and plans and elevation of the New Somerset Hospital.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services CO 1268 1883 Letter 27 December 1883 Plan of proposed general cemetery to be acquired from the SA Brick & Lime Company by the Cape Town and Suburban Necropolis Company. Previously part of the farm Rheezigt, between the Main Road and Mowbray-Salt River road.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services 3/CT/ADD 9/1 1894 Minutes of Meetings of Conference of Mayors re Infectious and Contagious Diseases Hospital Refers to letter from Under Colonial Secretary 1893 enclosing Report of Dr Gregory Government Medical Officer dated 9 December 1893; and from Dr Parsons dated 27 December 1893. -- First minute dated 23 May 1893. Last minute dated 8 March 1894 leaves issue of recommendation for joint hospital at Uitvlugt unresolved.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services 3/CT/7/1/5/1 1896 Corporation of the City of Cape Town Valuation Roll 1896 District 1-4. Name of owner. -- Address of owner. -- Name of occupier. -- District. -- Description of Property. -- No. of same. -- Name of Street. -- Valuator’s Valuation. -- Remarks.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services 3/CT/7/2/3/1 1901 Corporation of the City of Cape Town Street Roll 1901 Name of owner. -- Address of owner. -- Name of occupier. -- District. -- Description of Property. -- No. of same. -- Name of Street. -- Valuator’s Valuation. -- Remarks.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services A1939 1/3/4 1921 Plan of Disused St George’s Cemetery
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services REF? 1923 Letter re demolition of houses in Schiebe Street, ?1923 Demolitions of ‘slums’ in terms of the Slums Act.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services 3/CT/ 7/2/6/2 no date Property Diagrams Castle in 1838 showing Steam Mill next to Commissariat between Grand Parade and the sea. --     Volume for 1860 does not have information under Occupier or Number of Street. Have to check earlier volumes to see when this practice stopped. -- Land proposed to be taken from the Town Council by the Harbour Commissioners for the purpose of erecting barracks for the dock labourers (about 12 acres). 7 July 1883. -- Proposed barracks for 560 coolies (includes quarters for 4 married couples and barrack rooms for 50). 10 July 1882. -- Plan showing proposed new line of water pipe (route avoids “Pauper Burial Ground as laid down by City Engineer”). See letter 14 January 1879. -- Plan showing the land (about 20 acres) belonging to the Cape Town Municipality proposed to be acquired by the Table Bay Harbour Board (Gallows Hill precinct; refers to John Coode’s plan of February 1883). See letter 20 May 1899.
Cape Archives and Records Services Cape Archives and Records Services 3/CT/16/13 no date Burial Plots – Roman Catholic, English Church, D.R. Church, Malay Section, Paupers. No date. -- Hardly any names filled in – under Paupers are some babies.